Saturday, January 22, 2011

Penciling, Inking, and Adventuring.

So, those of you that have known me for a while have inevitably heard me mention the project I've been working on since 2003, The Adventures of Stanto Pigwalter.

The idea for the story came to me in Iraq, when a friend introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons, showing me how character creation, adventuring, and character development is done.  Stanto was born that night, when I wrote down his name for the first time; I plucked it out of the air, a gibberish mishmash of syllables that would grow in my mind steadily over the course of the next eight years.
Concept Art - Click to Embiggen
Originally, Stanto's tale was not going to be drawn; originally I was planning on writing his travels down in novel format, but after I realized that I had absolutely no gift for writing believable prose, I scrapped it in favor of a graphic novel, or novel in comic book form.
Stanto started out as the generic Luke Skywalker-type character, a simple farmboy that had adventure thrust upon him.  I realized of course that the Luke Skywalkers of the literary world have been done to death, so I instead took the premise of a simple farmboy and turned it on its head, changing him from a farmboy to a morally bankrupt thief who used "innocent farmboy" as a cover story.
I've always been a doodler, an amateur cartoonist, but working on this comic for the last eight years has taught me a lot about anatomy, visual dynamics and how to make things POP on paper.
I'm still very much an amateur, but Stanto and his merry band (who in the intervening years have swelled from three people to over ten,) refuse to give me a moment's peace until I get it down.
I'm very honored that such a cool story idea chose me to bring it to life, and I can't wait to start bringing Stanto and his adventures to you.

Watch this space for further developments and news.

No comments:

Post a Comment